Home Page  |  Choose Language:   
Museum Overview Establishment

The Folk Museum of Andritsaina was established by the Cultural Asociation of Women of Andritsaina in 1981.

Some women from Andritsaina who wanted to show "the soul of their place" were driven by the hack value, the love for the place they live in, their anxiousness for saving heir cultural heritage and above all the team work joined their forces and established a Folk Museum at their home, Andritsaina.

Nowadays, the Folk museum is hosted at the stately home of Georgios Kanellopoulos. It is a renovated, old, independent, stone building (1847), with peculiar architectural features, which reflects the tradition, the art and the nobility of the people of Andritsaina.

The last offspring of the family, Galini Kanellopoulou, inherited by her will this stately home together with the invaluable old traditional furniture and utensils, in order to host the museum so that all these together constitute the private Folk Museum with folk items and old households stuff at the three floors of the building, covering a total surface of 500 m2.

Georgios Kanellopoulos Foula Kanellopoulou Galini Kanellopoulou
Georgios Kanellopoulos Foula Kanellopoulou Galini Kanellopoulou

Most of the 4.000 items exhibited in the Museum are coming exclusively from Andritsaina and cover the time period from 1832 to 1932.

Among the exhibits, there is also the bahut of Panagiotis Anagnostpoulos belonging to Filiki Eteria, with the distinctive mark "P.A. 1832".

At the first floor of this house, the visitor has the chance to see the form and the organization of the life in a traditional bourgeois home at the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20h in Andritsaina.

At the second floor the visitor admires the impressive and abundant collection of men and women’s local dresses.

The collections of the Museum include also icons of the post-byzantine period (collection of the family), church appliance but also rare documents dated of the 18th and 19th century (marriage contract, public documents,etc.), abundant photographic material from 1850 onwards, paintings and lithographies.

The Museum has also a projections and multiple-purpose room which has been recently renovated through a donation made by Michelis foundation.